Sunday, July 22, 2012

Urban Student ===> Urban Teacher: Success is possible for ALL!!!

Repost: I strongly believe that every child should be afforded the best possible opportunity to excel. Unfortunately, students in under-served communities are faced with the challenges of success with limited resources. My dream of becoming an educator stems from the struggle these kids are faced with because I too was a student in an underserved community. I was born and raised in Cabrini Green, one of Chicago’s most poverty stricken and violent communities. I have witnessed the struggles of success, as many of my peers has fallen victim of their environment. Fortunately, I had parents who believed in the power of education and teachers who acknowledged my potential and nurtured my abilities. My teachers help build the foundation of who I am today and I am so grateful for their love and support.

My purpose as an educator is to make a difference in my students’ lives. I want to assure and support them in knowing that they are capable of great achievements regardless of their socio-economic status and urban environments. Not only can I empathize with the hardships of achievement when the odds are not in their favor, I can also relate. I am a living example of attainable achievements with hard work and dedication. AUSL's Chicago Teacher Residency Program has provided an avenue to addressing the needs of students in these under-served communities. I am honored to have this opportunity and look forward to impacting the lives of my students. 

I am well aware of the possible challenges that I will face as a teacher. I, personally, will struggle with clearly identifying my role as an educator and the natural maternal personality that I possess. As a mother, I am prompted to fix things without a second thought about it. I understand that my students may face situations that are beyond my control and I can't be overly concerned about their lives outside of my classroom. My purpose is to ensure that I provide a safe learning environment for each child while they are in my care. 

No comments:

Post a Comment